How should I record disciplinary action?
It is important that If and when any formal disciplinary action is taken with employees, that a clear audit trail is kept in relation to the process followed, meetings held, and action taken. This is important for a number of reasons:
- You have clear records should there be issues in the future with the employee.
- You can demonstrate you have followed a fair and consistent approach.
- Any evidence is retained to show how and why a decision was made, especially if challenged through an appeal or tribunal.
- You are taking active warnings into account should further disciplinary action be taken.
Many businesses at best only keep the outcome of any disciplinary on file, which is often hidden with piles of other paperwork in a personnel file in the depths of a filing cabinet.
We help our clients keep accurate and easy to locate records though our HR software.
This allows at the click of a mouse to clearly see:
- Any previous disciplinary action taken and on what date.
- If any warning is still active or has expired.
- To view all associated documents relating to each individual disciplinary matter together.
As a proactive HR Consultancy this also allows us to follow up with Managers to see if they are happy with any progress since a disciplinary and where improvement has been seen we can recognise this and relay this to the employee. After all a disciplinary should be used for positive effect.
If you would like more information on our HR software and how this can help, then please call Amy on 0844 8797286 to arrange a demo.
Back to News